Philoxenia is a WordPress theme designed for hotels and resorts. It allows you to fully demonstrate your services and facilities in a graceful yet practical manner. The homepage has a slider and custom widgets made to organize your content and produce a classy layout.
Try Philoxenia for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Start by adding the pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- Home. This will serve as your homepage. Assign to it the Homepage template, from the Page attributes panel and publish it.
- Blog. This will be your posts page.
- Contact. Here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin.
- Booking. Your booking form will be placed here. Apply the Booking form template. Once you publish the page go to CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options select the Booking page, fill in the e-mail you want to use for your booking inquiries and save your changes.
- Gallery Listing. This page will display your galleries. Three layouts are available, one with two columns, one with three columns and one with four columns. Just apply the corresponding Gallery listing X Columns template from the page attributes panel.
- Room Listing. This page will display your rooms. Similarly to the galleries, there are three available templates. Select the one you like by applying the Room listing X Columns template.
- Videos Listing. This page will display your videos. Again apply one of the three available Video Listing X Columns templates.
(TIP: all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, go under Settings > Reading. Set the Home page to be your static frontpage and the Blog page to be your posts page, like the image below shows:
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add new, title your post, enter the content in the editor and upload a featured image by clicking Set featured image on the Featured Image panel. Add a category and/or tag to the post from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking Publish.
3) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > Add New, set the gallery’s name as a title and enter the appropriate text in the content editor. Set a featured image and proceed to upload your images by clicking the Add Images button in the Gallery Details panel (please read the Creating Galleries section). Finally publish the gallery item. Single gallery column numbers can be controlled from the Gallery settings panel below the main text editor.
4) Adding Rooms
To create a new room item go to Rooms > new Room, set the room’s name as a title, enter relevant information in the content editor and set a featured image. Then move to the Room Details panel. Here you can add images to your room’s slider (please read the Creating Galleries section), add the room’s amenities, add a price and let visitors know if your current price is an offer.
5) Adding Slider items
To add items to your homepage’s slider go to Slider Items > New Slider Item, set a title for the slider item and upload a featured image (which will be the image displayed on the homepage). Enter the text you wish to be displayed when the single slider item is viewed (please notice that any text entered here will appear only if you leave the URL box blank in the slider settings below). Move to the Slider Details panel and give the slider a custom link (optional). Finally, publish the slider item. Homepage slider behavior can be controlled under CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options.
6) Adding Videos
To add a new Video, go to Videos > Add New and give it a title. Move to the Video Settings panel, paste the URL to your video and publish the item.
7) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you need to set up the menu. Go to Appearance > Menus and create your main menu. Customize it by adding menu items to it and then go to Manage Locations to set it as your main menu.
(TIP: for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
8) Adding content to your Homepage
The homepage of Philoxenia features one widget area, called Homepage directly below the slider. Here you can place the content you wish displayed on the homepage by using the available widgets. You can access this area and add content to it by going to Appearance > Widgets. On the homepage you’ll also find the Newsletter subscription box. You can modify it under CSSIgniter Settings > Newsletter Options. If you’d like to hide it, you can go to Newsletter Options and make sure the Action URL box is completely empty.
Duplicate the demo’s layout
The demo’s homepage consists three (3) slider items and a booking bar. Also the Homepage Sidebar hosts three (3) widgets. They are three CI Item widgets and each of them displays a room. Below the homepage sidebar you have the newsletter subscription bar.
9) Changing Footer text
To create a gallery using the gallery management system follow these steps:
- On the Gallery Information panel and click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window that will pop-up. Select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded ones. Once you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right side.
- Your Gallery Information panel will look like this:
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below:
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in a random order that will change on every page refresh.
- When you are done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same steps.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes You can use this shortcode plugin to create a variety of layouts and elements on your website. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited Use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks. A guide for it can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 Use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
The recommended image sizes for the Philoxenia theme are:
- Default post thumbnail: 750×500px
- Header image: 1920×245px
- Fullwidth homepage slider: 1920×485px
- Room Slider: 1140×500px
- CI Item Widget (frontpage widgets featured images): 700×500px
Please keep in mind that any image uploaded, should be larger than 700px for best results. Generally for each section place images that are larger or equal than the recommended width. For example, the images of an inner slider of a room should be 425px in height and equal or larger than 1140px in width.