Create a stylish website easily, by using Nico. With two alternative layouts, multiple color schemes and many customization options your website’s layout will reach the high standards you desire.
Try Nico for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Start by adding the pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- Home. This will serve as your homepage. Assign to it the Front Page template to it, from the Page attributes panel.
- Blog. This will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- Contact. (optional) Here you can place your contact form.
- PortfoliO. This page will list your portfolio items. Apply the Portfolio Listing template and publish the page. You can also select the number of columns your portfolio listing page will have by selecting one of the available layouts in the Portfolio Listing Details box below the main text editor.
(TIP: All page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading. Set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page to be your post page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add new, title your post and enter the content in the editor. Upload a featured image by clicking Set featured image on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking Publish.
3) Adding portfolio items
To add a new portfolio item go to Portfolio > Add New. Set a featured image from the panel on the right and fill in any text you have for the portfolio item. Move to the Portfolio Details panel below. Upload your project related photos in the Portfolio Gallery section (have a look at the end of this document for more info on gallery creation). Then you need to select whether the portfolio item will appear on the homepage and if it will have an internal slider.
Finally you have to fill in Project Details. Click the Add Field button to create a new field. You can enter client name, date of creation, suggested price. Finally you can add an external URL, if available, to demonstrate your product.
4) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them. Give your menu a name and save it. You will need to set your menu as Main menu. This can be done either by checking the Main menu box in Menu Settings just below your menu items in Menu Structure or by going to the Manage Locations tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP: for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
5) Setting up your homepage
The homepage on Nico consists a blog sidebar that appears on the right. The featured portfolio items and posts below them and the footer widgets.
6) Changing Footer text
7) Introduction Title
The theme allows you to set an introductory title which will appear on the top of all posts & pages. To do that you need to go to CSSigniterSettings > Display Options. You can also select on which pages it will appear by checking/unchecking the available boxes.
The theme features six custom widgets specially crafted to help you display your content. They can be found under Appearance > Widgets
Below each widget there is a small description which describes their functionality.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes You can use this shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your website. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited Use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 Use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
The recommended image sizes for the Nico theme are:
- Post Thumbnail: 500×500px
- Portfolio thumbnail: 400×270px
- Portfolio slider: 750px in width.