Klou is a premium WordPress theme made for creative professionals. You can display your work and have a lovely project composition. Your portfolio has additional functionality so that you can create a beautiful yet practical website.
Try Klou for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Let’s start by adding pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- “Home” this will serve as your homepage, assign to it the “Front Page with Portfolio” template from the “Page attributes” panel. The number of columns and the sections that will appear on your front page can be controlled under CSSIgniter Settings > Homepage Options.
- “Blog” this will be your posts page. The blog page’s layout can be changed between the three available layouts, under CSSIgniter Settings > Blog Options.
- “Contact” (optional) here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin.
- “Portfolio” this page will display your portfolio items. Apply the “Portfolio Listing” template to it.
(TIP, all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading and set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page as your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > add new, title your post, enter the content in the editor, upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking “Publish”.
3) Adding portfolio items
To add a new portfolio item go to Portfolio > Add New. Set a featured image from the panel on the right, fill in any text you have for the portfolio item and move to the Portfolio Details panel below. Next upload your images via the Portfolio Gallery panel (have a look at the end of this document for more info on gallery creation). Moving on you can add a subtitle for your portfolio item and then decide if you want to display this portfolio item on the homepage slider, show it on the homepage as featured portfolio item and disable its internal slider.
Finally you have to fill in Project Details. Click the Add Field button to create a new field, you can enter client name, date of creation, suggested price, pretty much anything you like. Finally you can add an external URL, if available, to demonstrate your product.
TIP: The appearance or not of related items and their section title can be controlled under CSSIgniter Settings > Section Titles
4) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them, give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as “Main” menu, this can be done either by checking the “Main menu” box in “Menu Settings” just below your menu items in Menu Structure, or by going to the “Manage Locations” tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
5) Changing Footer text
6) Changing the hero text
The theme’s introduction title & subtitle can be modified under CSSIgniter Settings > Section Titles
The theme features five widgetized areas where you can place all your widgets to create your unique layout. Also it comes with seven custom widgets to help you display your content.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
The recommended image sizes for the Klou theme are:
- Post Thumbnail: 740×450px
- Related portfolio thumbnail: 320×320px
- Portfolio Slider: 895×460px
- Homepage Slider : 940×400px
- Portfolio grid listing thumbnail: 450×300px
- Blog thumbnail: 125×125px