Igloo is a WordPress theme for restaurants. Created for the display of your menu (food or drink items) it includes photo galleries, a place for your customers’ testimonials and possible announcements. The homepage has custom widgets made to bring them all together.
Try Igloo for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Start by adding the pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- Home. This will serve as your homepage. Assign to it the Frontpage Fullwidth Slider or the Frontpage Fixed Slider template from the Page attributes panel and publish the page..
- Blog. This will be your posts page. Just create it.
- Contact. Here you can place your contact form. Apply the Contact Page template.
- Menu. This page will serve as your menu listing page, apply the Menu Template to it.
- Location. Here you can place info relevant to your business’ location. Apply the Location Page template. The page features a map showing your location, you can set the location under CSSIgniter settings > Contact options.
- Gallery Listing. This page will host your galleries. Apply to it the Galleries Listing template and the Gallery Listing Options panel appears. From here, select the number of columns your gallery listing page will have.
(TIP: all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading. Set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page to be your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below:
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add new. Title your post and add content in the editor. Upload a featured image by clicking Set featured image on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post from the respective panels and publish the post.
3) Adding Slider items
To add items to your homepage’s slider go to Slider Items > new Slider Item. Set a title for the slider item and upload a featured image (it will be the image displayed on the homepage, so it should be at least 1920×420 if you chose the fullwidth slider template and 1240×420 if you chose the fixed template). In the Slider Details panel you can set a URL & text for the slide’s button. When you are done, publish the slider item. Slider speed and autoslide functionality can be adjusted under CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options.
4) Adding Menu items
- First you need to create some categories. From your admin panel, go to Menu Items > Menu Categories, and create some categories such as Appetizers, Main Dishes, Desserts and Drinks.
- Go to Menu Items > New Menu Item enter the title (e.g. Bloody Mary) and on the main content box enter the description (e.g. A bloody-red spicy cocktail etc). Select the Menu Category that it belongs into (Drinks), add a Featured Image by clicking on Set featured image (at least 700×450) and on the Menu Item Price box add the price.
5) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > New Gallery. Set the gallery’s name as a title and enter some text if you wish in the content editor. Set a featured image and upload your images by clicking the Add Images button in the Gallery Information panel (Notice, if you are using versions 1.1 and older, read the Creating Gallery items and uploading images section). Drag & drop to rearrange the image order and publish the gallery.
6) Adding Testimonials
To create a new Testimonial, go to Testimonials > New Testimonial. Set the author’s name as the title and the testimonial’s text in the content box. Publish the item. Testimonials can be used in any widget area you want by using the CI Testimonials widget.
7) Creating your menu
Go to Appearance > Menus. Check the pages you want on your menu and add them. Give your menu a name and save it. You also will need to set your menu as Main menu. This can be done either by checking the Main menu box in Menu Settings just below your menu items in Menu Structure or by going to the Manage Locations tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP: for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
8) Adding content to your Homepage
The homepage on Igloo features three widget areas. The Homepage Testimonial Widget, the Homepage Second Row and the Homepage Third Row. All three feature a small description on how to use them to properly display your content. You can access and add content to them in Appearance > Widgets.
9) Changing Footer text
10) Changing header text
To modify the text displayed on the right side of the header navigate to CSSIgniter settings > Contact options (1st box) and follow the on-screen instructions.
11) Header images
Pages, posts and single galleries in Igloo feature header images. To set the default and learn more about how you can have custom images on each item, please navigate to CSSIgniter settings > Display options (2nd box). When using custom header images you might want to hide the featured image from the page’s/post’s body, to do that again in CSSIgniter settings > Display options and un-check one (or both) of these boxes
12) Custom Widgets
The theme features several widgets for your convenience. They are displayed below:
All widgets can be accessed from Appearance > Widgets. Below each widget you will find a small description explaining their function.
The CSSIgniter settings panel
Last but not least, under Appearance > CSSIgniter settings, you can find the settings panel. From here you can modify multiple aspects of your theme. Including: changing your logo, setting a custom background, changing color scheme and applying custom styles via the custom CSS tab. All options feature a description and you can easily read their provided function.
Creating Gallery items
- Create a new Gallery.
- Click Add media or Upload images.
- Drag & drop the images from your computer (do not use already uploaded images).
- When your images are done uploading click the X on top right (do not click insert to post).
- Finish setting up the rest of the item’s details and publish the item.
Re-ordering/adding images to Gallery items
- Edit the Gallery.
- Click Add media or Upload images.
- On the top left of the media manager a drop-down menu will appear. Select Uploaded to this post.
- Add/remove or re-order with drag & drop.
- When you are done click the X on top right.
- Update the item.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes You can use this shortcode plugin to create a variety of layouts and elements on your website. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited Use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks. A guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 Use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
- Home slider full width: 1920x420px
- Home slider fixed width: 1240x420px
- Thumbnails: 770x520px