Herringbone is an e-Commerce theme for WordPress. It is WooCommerce compatible and allows you to easily setup a fully functional e-shop. Its homepage has a single widget area that provides you with extra functionality.
Try Herringbone for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
To enable eCommerce functionality for your website you need to install and activate the WooCommerce plugin by WooThemes. You can download the plugin free of charge from the WordPress Plugin Repository. For installation and usage instructions please refer to the plugin’s documentation.
Once you have installed and activated the WooCommerce plugin please install its pages by clicking on the button that WooCommerce provides on its banner. This will likely create a duplicate of some pages along with the pages installed by the sample content but its a needed step. You can delete the old pages that came with the sample content or use them instead by going to WooCommerce > Settings > and assign them anew at the Products tab.
Also go to WooCommerce > Settings and in the Products tab set the image sizes that best fit your shop under the Product Image Sizes section, in case you need different values than the theme sets by default.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Let’s start by adding pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- “Home” this will serve as your homepage, assign to it the “Frontpage” template to it, from the “Page attributes” panel. See below for homepage configuration.
- “Blog” this will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- “Contact” (optional) here you can place your contact form.
(TIP, all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading and set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page as your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add New, title your post, enter the content in the editor, upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking “Publish”.
3) Adding products
The most important thing of your e-shop are your products, to add them check this detailed guide provided by WooThemes here.
4) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them, give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as “Main” menu, this can be done either by checking the “Main menu” box in “Menu Settings” just below your menu items in Menu Structure, or by going to the “Manage Locations” tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
5) Setting up your Homepage
Navigate to Appearance > Widgets and assign widgets to the FrontPage Widget Area. Τhe following widgets are suggested for the FrontPage Widget Area which appears as your homepage’s main content:
- WooCommerce Products
- WooCommerce Recently Viewed Products
- WooCommerce Top Rated Products
- -= CI Newsletter =-
Duplicate the demo’s layout
On the theme’s demo homepage we see the following: A CI Offer Box widget in the Below Header #1 sidebar, a Search widget in the Below Header #2 sidebar. Two Custom Menu widgets with a custom menu each displaying product categories and subcategories and a WooCommerce Product Categories widget below, in the e-Shop Sidebar, next we have a WooCommerce Products widget displaying featured products, a CI Newsletter and another WooCommerce Products widget displaying the latest products in the Front Page Widget Area. Finally we have the CI Accepted Payment Methods widget in the Footer Widgets Column #1 and another Custom Menu widget in the Footer Widgets Column #2.
6) Changing Header & Footer text
Just above you can change the header message which will display on the header across your site.
7) e-Commerce options
Under CSSIngiter settings > e-Commerce options you can modify the product’s listing layout view and the number of columns your shop pages will have along with the number of products that will be displayed on shop listing pages.
8) Custom Widgets
The theme features eight custom widgets which are displayed below
All widgets can be accessed from Appearance > Widgets. Below each widget you will find a small description explaining their functionality.
The CSSIgniter settings panel
Last but not least, under Appearance > CSSIgniter settings, you can find our custom built settings panel. From here you can manipulate various aspects of your theme, including, but not limited to, changing your logo, setting a custom background, changing color scheme and applying custom styles via the custom CSS tab. All options feature a description so you instantly know their provided functionality.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
The recommended image sizes for the Herringbone theme are:
- CI Blog Thumb Listing: 700×700px (Used for thumbnails on your blog listing page)
- CI Blog Thumb Single: 850×300px (Used for thumbnails on your blog single page)
- CI Fullwidth: 850×425px (used as a featured image on the fullwidth page template)
- Shop thumbnail: Images need to be at least 110px wide with no particular height. You should replace those values as described above if needed.
- Shop Catalog Image: Images need to be at least 360px wide with no particular height. You should replace those values as described above if needed.
- Single Product Featured Image: Images need to be at least 560px wide with no particular height. You should replace those values as described above if needed.