Hernán is a responsive WordPress theme for DJs, music artists, bands, radio stations and everyone in the music business. It consists various flexible features, made to facilitate the proper demonstration of your music.
Try Hernán for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Configuring your theme
Setting up your homepage
Navigate to the CSSIgniter Settings panel and click on Homepage Options. Your first option is to enable or disable the slider on the homepage. Check the box if you want one or uncheck if you don’t. The next box allows you to choose how many slider items you wish to have. Just enter a number here (remember you need at least two).
Then, select if you want the Latest Media section on your homepage. The following box allows you to display the content of a certain page in your homepage instead of your latest blog posts. If you wish to do that, select the page from the dropdown menu or leave it blank so it displays your blog posts. Next select how many news items (or blog posts) you want in your homepage. Finally you can choose only certain blog categories to appear in your homepage. Set their id’s in the box.
If you need a custom background in your homepage just go to Color Options and un-check the Disable custom background box. Then, select a color or upload an image as a background.
Next, navigate to Display Options and check your slider options. Select auto-slide, slider effect and slide direction (if applicable). Also set duration, in milliseconds for the slideshow and animation.
NOTE: It is advised to turn auto-slide off if you are planning on displaying videos on your slider. If you don’t, it will slide out of view during playback.
Creating a Homepage
NOTE: If you imported custom content this is already done. If not follow the instructions below:
Go to Pages > Add new and create a new page. Give it a title like “Homepage” and on the Page Attributes box on the right select the Frontpage template. Publish the page.
Now go to Settings > Reading. Set the page you just created as your homepage. Click the A static page radio button and set it as Front page from the drop down. Save your changes.
There is an option for a post page under the Front page option. Create a new page called Blog. Publish normal posts and set it here as your posts page. Save your changes.
Setting up the slider
Go to Slider > New Slider Item. Set the title. This will be the text displayed inside the slide. Set the featured image (which will be cropped automatically to fit the slider). In the Slider Settings, set the URL where users will visit if they click on this slider item. Here you can also set a video URL if you want a video in your slider. You can also disable the slider text entirely.
Go to Appearance > Widgets and place your desired widgets in the Homepage Sidebar.
You need to setup the main navigation for your homepage (visible on any other page on the website too). Go to Appearance > Menus. Create a new menu and name it. In the Theme Locations select the menu that you just created. Add items from the left hand side boxes (Pages and Custom Links) to the right. Re-order by drag and drop.
Create listing pages for Artists, Discography items, Galleries and Videos.
Go to Pages > New Page. Give the page a title and from the page attributes in the right side select a Page Template. You have two template options for each type. One with a sidebar and one fullwidth. Publish the page.
Events page setup
NOTE: If you imported custom content this is already done.
Go to Pages > Add New and create a new page. From the page attributes on the right and the Templates dropdown select the Events Listing. Add your events from Events > New Events item. Give the event a title. (the title does not appear anywhere, it’s just for you). Leave the main editor empty (optional) and move lower in the Event Settings section. Fill the details of the event.
In the Select the event status dropdown you have four choices:
- Tickets Available
- Sold Out
- Watch live
For a status “Sold out” or “Canceled” you don’t have to set up anything else. For a status like “Tickets Available” you can insert the URL from the website where people can buy tickets in the input field below with the title “If the event is still available enter the URL where someone can buy tickets”. Same thing for the status “Watch live”. You can also change the default text of the button (Buy tickets, canceled etc). A last option for the events page is that you can show/hide the events map and past events. Just go to Appearance > CSSigniter Settings > Display Options and locate the box that allows you to hide the map.
You also have the ability to provide self-hosted music and music from SoundCloud.
Go to Plugins > Add New and search the SoundCloud Shortcode. Click install and once the plugin is ready activate it.
Go to Discography > New Discography Item. Set the album title and upload the album’s cover in the featured image section. In the main editor you can write anything you want. Plus you can display the tracklisting of your album with the ability to let the users preview your tracks. For this you are going to use a shortcode.
The title, the featured image and the Discography settings don’t need any further explanation. Let’s see how you can use the Tracks details.
You may add the tracks of your release, along with related information such as a Download URL, Buy URL and lyrics. Press the Add Track button to add a new track, and the Remove me button to delete a track.
Once you add your tracks you may display them by using the [tracklisting] shortcode. By default, it will display the tracks of the current discography item. You may also display the track listing of any discography item in any other post/page or widget (that supports shortcodes) by passing the ID or slug parameter to the shortcode.
Like this: [tracklisting id=”25″] or [tracklisting slug=”the-division-bell”]
You can also selectively display tracks, by passing their track number (counting from 1), separated by a comma.
Like this: [tracklisting tracks=”2,5,8″] and can limit the total number of tracks displayed like this: [tracklisting limit=”3″]
Of course, you can mix and match the parameters.
Like this: [tracklisting slug=”the-division-bell” tracks=”2,5,8″ limit=”2″]
Go to Videos > New Video Item. Set a title and scroll down to the Video Settings. Here you can paste the video URL . If it is hosted on YouTube or Vimeo once you hit Publish it will automatically get the video thumbnail from YouTube/Vimeo and set it as your featured image. Of course if you want you can set your own featured image (if the video is not hosted on YouTube/Vimeo you have to set a featured image).
In order to insert a new artist just go under Artists> New artist. In this section you won’t find any custom fields so you can enter the name of the artist in the title field, use the featured image and the main editor to place your content (biography etc.)
The theme includes multiple widgets for your convenience:
- CI Ads > Displays banner ads
- CI About Me > About me widget
- CI Album Tracklisting > Lists tracks. In the widget’s text area you can use the tracklisting shortcode described above in order to list any track you like.
- CI BuySellAds > BuySellAds.com integration
- CI Event > Display one event
- CI Flick Widget > Display photos from a Flickr account
- CI Latest Albums > Display your latest albums
- CI Latest Photo Galleries > Display your latest photo galleries
- CI Latest Videos > Display your latest videos
- CI Recent Events > Display upcoming events
- CI Tweets > Display tweets (set it up from CSSigniter settings > Twitter Options)
The theme also provides seperate widget sidebars for each section.
The options panel can be found under Appearance CSSIgniter Settings. Have a look at each tab’s options:
From this tab you can set your website’s properties.
- Logo text: Textual logo – site title.
- Upload your logo: Allows you to upload a logo image. You need to upload it to the correct size. Logo text is used as alternative logo description.
- Upload your favicon.
- Upload Touch icons to be displayed on touch enabled devices.
- Customize your footer text.
Here you can manage all the options provided by the theme for your homepage.
From these tabs you can set a number of post items to be displayed in the listing page and change the section title (where applicable).
Here you have multiple options that affect what your website displays:
- Slider control
- Column number for your listing pages
- Events map modification
- Show past events on the events page
- Read More text: What will be displayed instead of the default Read More…
- Excerpt length (in words): Limits how many words the excerpt will be and whether it will link to the post.
- Excerpt auto cut-off text: When a manual excerpt is not provided, WordPress generates one automatically from your post’s content, limiting the words according to the setting above. Because that may be mid-paragraph, the cut-off text is appended at the end to show that the text continues.
- Title separator: How the various elements of the tag will be separated (dash, pipe, colon, etc)
- Show “Comments are closed” message: Allows you to hide/show the default “Comments are closed” message when comments are disabled.
- Show or hide featured images
- Change featured image size on fullwidth page.
These options enable Twitter capabilities for your website.
These options control the behavior of the Archive page (if you created one) with the Archive page template assigned.
Google Analytics Code: Just copy-paste your Google Analytics code exactly as given by the website and you can easily track your visits.
FeedBurner Feed URL: Paste the feed that FeedBurner provides you with and it will be automatically be served to your users.
FeedBurner Email URL: Paste the URL FeedBurner provides to register for email updates.
BuySellAds.com Code: Paste the BSA code as given by their website and it will be automatically included on every page. Use the accompanying widget -=CI BuySellAds.com=- to display the ads.
Paste your custom CSS in the box and it will override the theme’s styles along with the Background Options.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes You can use this shortcode plugin to create a variety of layouts and elements on your website. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited Use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks. A guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 Use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
The recommended image sizes for the Hernan theme are:
- Post thumbnail size: 300×150px
- Blog thumbnails: 200×200px
- Slider: 940×460px
- Listing page thumbnails: 700×430px
- Thumbnail for discography and event items: 700px in width, not limited in height
- Video thumbnail: 480×280px