Glare is a media WordPress theme made specially for photographers. Create your ideal website with a theme that helps you display your work in a classy manner through its galleries post.
Try Glare for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Start by adding the pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- Home. This will serve as your homepage, assign to it the Homepage with Slider or Homepage with Video template from the Page attributes panel. Upload a featured image and publish the page, have a look at the Setting up your homepage section below for more info on how to use the rest of the homepage template’s features.
- Blog. this will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- Galleries Listing. This page will display your galleries. Apply the Gallery Listing template to the page and notice the Gallery Listing Details panel that appears. Here you can select a base photo category (optional, only select if you want to create a listing page that displays one gallery category alone).
- Contact. Here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin. Next apply the Contact Page template to it.
(TIP: all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading. Set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page to be your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add new, title your post and enter the content in the editor. Upload a featured image by clicking Set featured image on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking Publish.
3) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > Add New. Set the gallery’s name as a title and enter relevant text in the content editor. Set a featured image and proceed to upload your images by clicking the Upload button in the Gallery Details panel (please read the Creating Galleries section). Select if you want to disable the gallery’s internal slider or show the gallery on the homepage from the checkboxes below and finally publish the gallery item.
4) Setting up your homepage
If you select the slider template for your homepage all you have to do is upload images by clicking Add media and then follow the instructions in the creating galleries/adding slider items section below.
If you select the video template you will be presented with this metabox to set your background video.
Paste the YouTube URL in the box and publish/update the page.
Duplicating the demo’s layout
Glare’s homepage features the Homepage with Slider template and has four galleries selected to appear on it.
5) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you need to set up your menu. Go to Appearance > Menus create a menu and name it main menu. Customize it by adding menu items to it and then go to Manage Locations, and set it to be your main menu.
(TIP: for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
6) Header images
You can set a header image to appear on your blog section, listing pages and single posts.
To create a gallery using the gallery management system follow these steps:
- On the Gallery Information panel click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window that will pop-up, or select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded images. When you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right side.
- Your Gallery Information panel will look like this:
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below.
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in a random order that will change on every page refresh.
- When you are done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same procedure.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes You can use this shortcode plugin to shape a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited Use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks. A guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 Use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
The recommended image sizes for the Glare theme are:
- Blog thumbnails: 602×350px
- Page header: Minimum 400px tall, no specific width set
- Gallery listing/grid layout thumbnails: 460×460px
- Fullsize thumbnail (also gallery slider image size): 940×460px