Coastline is a premium WordPress theme designed for creative professionals. With Coastline you can display your works and projects in a simple, beautiful and functional manner. You portfolio is boosted with additional functionality to help you shape your desired layout.
Try Coastline for free!
Want to try a theme before deciding? We completely understand! That's why we provide you with a 15 day trial period. Check out the theme without commitment.
Create an account
We install everything
You try it for free
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Start by adding the pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- Home. This will serve as your homepage. Assign to it the Portfolio Grid Listing template from the Page attributes panel. The number of columns and portfolio items per page on the homepage (and other portfolio listing pages) can be controlled under CSSIgniter Settings > Display Options 1st an 2nd boxes.
- Blog. This will be your posts page.
- Contact. (optional) Here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin.
(TIP: all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading, set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page to be your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below:
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add new, title your post and enter content in the editor. Upload a featured image by clicking Set featured image on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking Publish.
On the right side of the post edit page, you will notice the Post Formats meta box.
You can select one of them, depending on the content of your post and a corresponding layout will be applied on the blog and single post page.
TIP: the “more” tag is functional in posts, which means that you can directly control which part of the post will appear on the blog listing page. If, for example, on a video post format you want to display just the embedded video and not a text, you can add a ‘more’ tag between the video embed URL and your text content.
3) Adding portfolio items
To add a new portfolio item go to Portfolio > Add New. Set a featured image from the panel on the right, fill in any text you have for the portfolio item and move to the Portfolio Settings panel below. If your portfolio item is a video item, place the video’s URL in the Video URL box. If you don’t have a video and want to use photographs instead, upload them via the Gallery Settings (have a look at the end of this document for more info on gallery creation). Finally you need to select the layout of your portfolio item from the Portfolio Template drop down. The Image Array will display your images one below the other while the other two will display them in a fixed width and full width slider.
TIP: The number of related items below each portfolio item can be controlled under CSSIgniter Settings > Display Options > Column Options.
4) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them. Give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as Main menu. This can be done either by checking the Main menu box in Menu Settings just below your menu items in Menu Structure or by going to the Manage Locations tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP: for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
5) Changing Footer text
6) Sidebar Background Image
To set a background image for the theme’s sidebar navigate to CSSIgniter Settings > Appearance Options and upload your background image on the first box.
The theme features a main sidebar which appears on all pages and you can place all your widgets on it. Also there is a footer sidebar available to hold a widget linking to your social profiles (See below on information regarding the installation of the Socials Ignited Plugin).
8) Jetpack Sharing Integration
The theme includes Jetpack’s sharing functionality to allow you to share your posts and portfolio items to various social networks. To enable it, install Jetpack, activate it, navigate to Jetpack > Settings, activate Sharing, and then go to Settings > Sharing to set it up. Add your services, configure the way you want them to appear and set up the Show buttons on like displayed on the image below.
Click Save Changes and you are ready.
The CSSIgniter settings panel
Under Appearance > CSSIgniter settings, you can find the settings panel. Here you can modify various aspects of your theme, including changing your logo, setting a custom background, changing color scheme and applying custom styles via the custom CSS tab. All options feature a description so you that you know their provided function.
To create a gallery using the gallery management system, follow these steps:
- On the Gallery Information panel click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window that will pop-up. Select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded images. Once you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right side.
- Your Gallery Information panel will look like this:
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below:
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in a random order that will change on every page refresh.
- When you are done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same procedure.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes You can use this shortcode plugin to create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited Use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks. A guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 Use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
The recommended image sizes for the Coastline theme are:
- Main Thumbnail: 750x400px used in pages as the featured image.
- Tall Thumbnail: 750px in width, not limited in height, used on the fixed portfolio slider.
- Full Width Cropped Thumbnail: 1020x650px used on the full width portfolio slider.
- Square Thumbnail: Used on the portfolio listing page and the related items on the single portfolio view.